GETTING STARTED: Tech and Skill Requirements
Hardware, Software and Knowledge Requirements
Now, let’s have a quick look at the basic requirements of this course.Software:
- Digital Audio Workstation: Cubase, ProTools, FL Studio, Logic or anything similar that allows you to record your tracks
- Orchestral Library/Libraries: Libraries that allows you to record orchestral instruments in your DAW.
- Computer that allows you to record music
- A pair of monitors or headphones
- Sound card (To hear your audio)
- Optionally: MIDI Keyboard
- Basic knowledge of music production:
You should know how to operate your DAW, basic use of sample libraries, how to record, add and edit tracks in your DAW, and the fundamentals of recording music on your computer. This course will not cover the extreme fundamentals. If you’re completely new to music production, check out our course Cinematic Music: The Essentials.
- Not needed, but very basic knowledge can be helpful
Advanced music theory knowledge is not required. Some basic knowledge of chords, scales and pitches are highly recommended but not strictly required. I’ve consciously tried to avoid overly theoretical approaches as much as possible throughout the course, focusing on displaying practical techniques, and approaches that will be easy to understand even for people with little theoretical background.